This fabulous copperplate engraved map shows the territorial extent of the historic Kingdom of Hungary after about the first quarter of the 18th century. The image covers a broad region between the Gulf of Venice and the Hapsburg Empire’s capital of Vienna, and as far east as Bucharest.
The fortified city of Belgrade can be seen in the direct center, at the confluence of the Danube and Sava Rivers, while the separate cities of Buda and Pest can be seen on either bank of the Danube further north.
Today, the region is comprised of portions of the modern day countries of Serbia, Croatia, Romania, Hungary, and Bosnia Herzegovinia. At the time of publication, the area was a battleground between Christian forces and the encroaching Ottoman Empire.
The image alludes to the rugged terrain of the Balkans with pictorial topography, and includes transportation routes, mountain passes, and a variety of place names and geographic features. The sheet, published by Matthaus Seutter around 1730, also includes two decorative cartouches.
The lower right surrounds the distance scales and includes allegorical figures reflecting on the kingdom’s bounty of agriculture, industry, and rivers. The second cartouche, lower left, shows the coats of arms of various regional provinces offering submission to the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles III.
For more information, or to purchase the map, please visit the Curtis Wright Maps store page here.